We are a socially responsible and environmentally concerned business. We actively seek to increase our energy and water efficiency, reduce wastage, source ethically, promote sustainable gardening and support the communities in which we are situated.
- We will continue to promote organic and peat free composts.
- We no longer stock moss peat and we do not recommend peat as a soil conditioner. In its place we recommend products such as Country Natural which is composted stable manure.
- In addition to our peat free ranges, for gardeners looking to reduce the peat they use, we stock compost containing 50% less peat than standard compost for all plants, including ericaceous plants
- We will offer organic alternatives in all categories of chemicals and fertilisers where they are available and where we are confident that they produce good results.
- Our own brand chicken pellets and rose food are organic.
- We promote mulching, composting, water conservation and other sustainable gardening methods.
- We promote wildlife friendly plants, hedging and plants for birds, bees and butterflies. These will be easily identifiable for customers thanks to our new labelling system.
- We have discussions with our suppliers aimed at reducing the amount of peat in the compost mixes they use.
- We promote British and locally grown plants in order to reduce plant miles.
- 90% of plants purchased are sourced from UK nurseries with our key suppliers within 60 miles, many are much closer.
- We aim to monitor and manage water use at our garden centres and nurseries through our new metering system.
FSC Timber & Leisure Products
- There are many certification schemes; we have certification paperwork for all our ranges, of which at least 80% are FSC/TFT or SGS.
- Our garden furniture is sourced from UK based suppliers with proof that wooden products have been legally and sustainably harvested.
- We no longer sell gas fired patio heaters.
- We aim to source locally produced food where possible.
- We aim to stock products that are sympathetic to allergies, i.e. Gluten Free.
- Our cafes offer healthy light snacks and low fat or fat free products
- Customers may return used plastic plant pots to us and we will make them available for others to reuse free of charge.
- We hold discussions with our suppliers regarding alternatives to plastic plant pots for container-grown plants.
- Cardboard boxes are offered to customers. Waste cardboard is recycled.
- Our plastic bags are biodegradable.
- Our scheme for recycling tin, paper, plastic bottles, shrink wrap and other clear plastics is being rolled out across our centres.
Waste & Recycling
- Used fat is collected for recycling.
- Our take out packaging is recycled, recyclable or biodegradable.
- Glass bottles are recycled.
- Junk mail and non-sensitive paper waste is recycled. Shredded confidential paperwork is also recycled.
- Used electrical items are recycled in accordance with the WEEE.
- Print cartridges are recycled.
- Point of Sale is produced relative to the size of each centre to ensure that we do not print more than is necessary.
- Envelopes are reused where possible for internal use.
Wildlife & Gardening Education
- We have created wildlife friendly display gardens at our West Horsley, Long Ditton and Hersham branches in conjunction with Surrey Wildlife Trust. We are developing similar projects for our Shepperton and Crawley centres.
- We have good links with many local schools and encourage nursery visits and initiatives to get children gardening.
- We also work with many local charities and other organisations.
- We have links with the Royal Horticultural Society, Kew Gardens, Surrey Wildlife Trust and Historic Royal Palaces.
- We support many local Britain in Bloom initiatives including Richmond, Farnham, Hersham, Spelthorne and Rushmoor.
- Three sites have new computerised heating control systems to maximise efficiency and reduce usage. This is working very effectively.
- We are investigating energy efficient lighting.
- Our new Shepperton garden centre features an air source heat pump