April Gardening Tips
The heady scent of spring, the joyful birdsong and the increasing warmth of the sun is upon us this month, and already we have seen some beautiful weather!
Here are some ideas for April:
- April is a good month to increase your lawn care efforts. Mow as required starting with the blades set quite high and gradually reduce the height as spring goes on.
- Now is the perfect time to plant new trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants, Dahlia tubers and Gladioli – so much choice!
- Sow seeds for summer bedding in the greenhouse or conservatory and pick out sowings made in March. Sow tomatoes in pots in the greenhouse or on a warm windowsill.
- Early April is the ideal time to divide perennials that have become woody or died back at the centre. These can be split and replanted thus increasing your stock. Water well and add mulch.
- Train Clematis, tying in the shoots to spread the growing shoots over the wall or fence for a better display of flowers. Be careful as new shoots are easy to break.
- Dead head bulbs but do not cut the foliage because the bulbs need this to produce food beneath the soil so that if flowers well next year.
Have fun in the garden this month and get to work creating a beautiful haven, the fruits of your labour will be there to be enjoyed for many months to come.