August Gardening Tips
Enjoy the warm summer days in your garden this month, there are just a few easy tasks for when you are pottering around…
- Continue to water and feed hanging baskets and containers.
- Deadhead faded flowers of perennials and annuals to encourage new blooms.
- Trim lavender bushes once they have finished flowering.
- Take cuttings of tender perennials such as Pelargoniums, Fuchsias and Salvias.
- Stop feeding roses so as to discourage soft growth. Prune rambling and shrub roses, removing all dead and weak shoots.
- Sow lettuce, spring cabbage and winter spinach.
- Pinch out the tips of runner beans and pick courgettes regularly.
- Conserve water by using an irrigation system and large self-watering plants.