January Gardening Tips
A safe and Happy New Year to you all, it’s 2021 and another gardening year begins!
January is very much dedicated to tidying and organising, but there are a few things to keep on top of in the garden on dry days…
- Deadhead winter flowering pansies.
- Hard prune tough deciduous hedges such as hawthorn and privet.
- Firm shrubs that may have been loosened by the wind and remove any dead or diseased shoots.
- Prune wisteria sinensis, this will encourage it to produce flowers rather than too much leaf. Cut back side shoots to about 10cm while the plant is dormant.
- Cut back late flowering clematis.
- In the vegetable garden, cover an area of the plot with fleece, cloches or plastic to help warm up the soil and dry up the surface and dig over the vegetable patch if this has not already been done.
- Feed fruit trees and bushes.
- Continue winter pruning.