Love Your Lawn
Green up your lawn ready for summer
Is your lawn lackluster? Is the grass less than green, or has it got bald patches? Part of the problem could be the weather. Summer 2018 was the joint hottest on record, and the heat, combined with a lack of rainfall, has meant that our lawns aren’t as lush as they once were.
So how to solve the problem? Well you can either start from scratch and get a new lawn, or love the lawn you’ve got.
Create a new lawn – but beware of turf shortage
The cheapest way to get a new lawn is to sow lawn seed, but the quickest and easiest way is to lay turf. However, be aware that turf may be in short supply this year.
Sarah Squire, Chairman of Squire’s Garden Centres commented, “The cumulative effect of several extreme weather events over the last year has started to impact stock levels of turf nationwide. However I am pleased to report that turf is currently available at Squire’s Garden Centres. We are expecting high demand for turf this year so customers should call us first to check availability.”
Love the lawn you’ve got
It’s amazing what you can do to repair and rejuvenate your lawn. Follow these simple care tips from Squire’s Garden Centres and you’ll have a lush lawn in no time.
- When temperatures rise above 5 degrees Celsius give the lawn a trim.
- Keep the blades on their highest setting.
- In hot weather, longer grass copes better.
- Use a lawn moss killer such as Miracle-Gro Evergreen Complete 4 in 1.
- Once moss has blackened, rake vigorously or use a scarifier to remove moss and debris.
- Aerate with a garden fork to a depth of 10-15cm, to help drainage.
- Top dress with Westland Lawn Dressing or Top Soil.
- Alternatively try Miracle-Gro Premium+ No Rake Moss Remover & Lawn Food.
- Use Miracle-Gro Patch Magic on bare or worn patches.
- Rake the area well before sowing the seed.
- Cover with bird-proof netting, and water regularly until well established.
- Use Miracle-Gro Evergreen Complete 4 in 1, which controls weeds and moss, whilst feeding and greening your lawn.
- After two weeks remove any dead weeds with a spring-tined rake.
- Once weeds and moss are gone use a lawn food such as Westland Safe Lawn.
- Water every 7-10 days in the early morning or evening when moisture evaporates more slowly.
So the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. You can have a lush lawn and make your neighbours green with envy by giving your lawn a little tender loving care.
If you need advice simply pop along to Squire’s Garden Centres and their horticultural experts will help you to love the lawn you’ve got.
Squire’s experts can give you lawn care advice – Tim Spearman (Manager – Squire’s Hersham)
Miracle-Gro Patch Magic, from £8.99 at Squire’s Garden Centres
Aerate your lawn to improve drainage