Statement houseplants to replace the Christmas tree
When the Christmas tree and decorations come down the house can look a bit bare. This year try replacing the tree with a large statement houseplant. It will add height to your living room and create a stunning focal point with its gorgeous green leaves.
Squire’s Garden Centres say that foliage plants are very on trend at the moment. They recommend the following houseplants to add instant impact and greenery to your living room:
1. Swiss Cheese Plant (Monstera deliciosa) – It has large glossy leaves which develop holes as they mature, splaying out to give a wide, dense structure. This plant will add a touch of the tropics to your indoor space.
Chris Carpenter, Plant Area Manager at Squire’s Milford says; “It’s a woody vine plant that can be trained over indoor walls or beams. It has become a very popular plant again as it’s easy to grow and unfussy, so perfect for people who are new to houseplants.”
2. Rubber Plant (Ficus elastica) – With its large, oval-shaped glossy leaves, it’s one of the best air-purifying indoor plants that you can have. It is also very low maintenance, and can grow up to 2m tall.
3. Madagascar Dragon Tree (Dracaena marginata) – This plant will provide structural interest all year round. It has lovely bare stems with spiky leaf foliage on top, it’s easy to care for and has air purifying benefits.
Andy Webb, Plant Area Manager at Squire’s Woking says; “This plant will create a great feature in your room and it’s very low maintenance.”
4. Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina) – It has beautiful shimmering foliage which shines in the light. There are a range of leaf colours, from greens, yellows, silvers and variegated.
5. Kentia Palm (Howea forsteriana) – A great plant for its large architectural leaves that grow on long stems, perfect for adding height in large rooms.
Save 15% off all houseplants and indoor pots at Squire’s Garden Centres 17 January to 6 February 2022. Shop in-store or online for local delivery.